Monday, December 16, 2013

Tenth Anniversary--Trip to Hawaii

It has been rather difficult to decide how the layout of this post should go. Chronologically? Categorically? Haphazardly? I decided on a triple combination--a little of all three. With (literally) over a thousand photos to go through (we may have gone slightly overboard), it is no easy task selecting those that will make it to The Blog.

First, This was our 10 year Anniversary Trip. Of course, our Anniversary is in December, and we were gone the first week in September... But we hold to the philosophy: Celebrate long, and Celebrate often. Actually I just made that up, and it's terrible--I know. But I'm sure there is a philosophy somewhere regarding... this circumstance. We hold to it.

Let's get started. I will start by saying everything about our trip was wonderful. Everything was such a blessing from Heavenly Father. Everything good that I post was from Him, and I often (while there) felt like I was in the Garden of Eden....sigh... Alrighty. I'll first introduce you to "our cottage" on the North(ish) shore.

If you lay on the bed, like so...


This will be your view...


Yes. We were right on the beach--ocean waves lulling us into relaxation every moment we spent there. 

Some snippets from the inside of "our cottage"(paintings, lamps, the prop I call "Russ")...


And these are pictures of what we affectionately call, "our beach" (each photo was taken steps away from our patio door)...


To start the trip out on Saturday, Russ wanted to get an "overview" of the entire Island. We had read Oahu Revealed--which was fantastic--but that wouldn't cut it for Russ. He had something more... helicoptery in mind (the "ocean breeze" was not kind to my hair that day--or any day, really)...



Followed by lunch at Duke's on Waikiki Beach...


Sunday after church we took a scenic drive around the island...



We ended up (intentionally) at the Laie Temple. The sky was amazing. This is heaven on Earth...



Did I mention our mode of transportation?...


Pretty much we felt like a convertible was the icing on the cake we called "Hawaii" (permit me another sigh....)

And then we finished off our Sunday with Russ at the barbecue...


Where we met a little friend who dropped in on us--literally--barely missing the mashed potatoes...


I called him "Little Gecko." Actually, I called them all that. There were several. Although this one was the littlest and the cutest.

We spent Monday at the Polynesian Cultural Center. And, in fact, we loved it so much that we went a second day :)...


Which I'm glad we did, because we ran into our Idaho friends, the Grays (I love living in a small world)...


And then we went to Sunset Beach on the North Shore and plopped ourselves down for a view of the sunset...


If you will please note the sunglasses in the above pictures you will understand the next two photos. I had been going on and on about the sunset and the amazing colors. Russ wasn't feeling it (as much). Here is an unedited photo of the sunset...


Here is another unedited photo of the same exact same sunset... 


"What is the difference?" you may ask. Apparently I had been looking at life through rose-colored glasses--putting my shades in front of the camera lens did the trick.

Alrighty... here is where we get a little haphazard. I'm just going to throw in some Hawaii Fav's...

Us swimming at the beaches...



Some signage around the island...



The flowers that were everywhere...



Random Hawaii fav's...


(That McDonald's Haupia Pie you see me sportin'--the best--so don't be knockin')

Shark's Cove was a definite favorite (I didn't know I loved snorkeling so much) Here's the beach...


And Hanauma...


Shark's Cove vs Hanauma? Shark's Cove--hands down. I loved it.

Seeing sea turtles was pretty awesome...


Making one was cooler (eh. not really)...



Oh, and this was cool...


See my swollen lips? I asked Russ to throw me the chapstick--it landed just. like. this... awesome.

Okay. Now let me take you to my favorite day. It started before 5 o'clock in the morning (that's right--first digit on the alarm clock was 4--on vacation!)

It took over an hour to drive to our sunrise beach...


And, you'll indulge me, I couldn't decide on my favorite shot. So I'm posting two...



This was a very serene and stunning way to begin the day. Viewing Heavenly Father's divine creations in the quiet of the early morning was such a peaceful experience.

After the sunrise we stumbled upon Jack's Restaurant. I felt it was serendipitous--I was wearing my "Jack's" t-shirt. It was some of the best grubbbin' on the island...



And then we hiked Diamond Head. But only because everyone said, "You have to hike Diamond Head." And for the record, we won't be telling anyone that it's a must. Because it's not. But it was fun...


And then *sigh* we did go on the most beautiful hike ever. The pictures cannot capture it's awe-inspiring magnificence. But I'll post them anyway...


(Wow. Russ is better looking than the scenery.)

(still hike photos)...



Is there any felicity in the world superior to this?

And then--it was over. Things must return to their proper order. During our final drive in Hawaii, Waikiki bestowed upon us a farewell sunset...


Aloha, Hawaii.

 And of course, I have to mention that we could not have done it without this sweetness...


Taking care of these sweetnesses (photos taken during our trip--you know they were spoiled)...



Jack must have been napping, because, yes--she had all four. Thank you so much, Dest! You truly are angelic!!

Happy Ten Years, Russ. It's been perfect.

6 comments:

Staci said...

awe jealous! you two are such a lovely couple happy 10 yrs!

The Despain Gang said...

Happy Happy 10th Anniversary! Such a great vacation. Jeremy and I were suppose to celebrate our 10th in Spain, but we got Charlotte instead--totally great trade up! Anyway, this Summer we're heading to Spain to celebrate our 10th Anniversary, after our 12th Anniversary! So fun! I've never been to Hawaii. I can't wait to go some day. I'll have to definitely ask you about your hikes--looks so fun!

Vanessa said...

I forgot you guys went to Hawaii! I loved this post! So fun!! And gorgeous! Can't believe it's been ten years!!!! Cutest couple... Love you guys!

Kam said...

Lovely!

Janell said...

Wow Reni, I love all of your pictures! Hawaii is super romantic...What a great place to celebrate your anniversary! Happy 10th!!

The Bailey Family said...

So many favorites for me to choose from!!! I have to say that "Lunch at Dukes" is such a great picture of both you and Russ (but mostly you:) ). Your eyes are absolutely luminous. So pretty!