Friday, January 30, 2009

Reminiscing...

So there's this picture that flashes up on my computer that every time I see, I get a chuckle out of. Really. Every time I see it it's funny again. It doesn't get old to me. So I thought I'd share.

There are a few leading up photos first....

About 2 years ago my fam was all together and my brother's and Russ decided to have a friendly competition. The stakes? Pride. The competition? Like 5 year olds they would race one at a time down the stairs, touch the fish tank, and then back up again. The timing method was a little primitive. Everyone upstairs would count in unison ONE, TWO, THREE... etc

First Adam was up (no messing around)...


Matty boy...


Dan (notice they are crouching lower and lower, it wasn't a game anymore)...


Russ (crouched to win)...


Ok, and now the photo that gets me chuckling. I know it may not be funny to others... and some of you may think I'm heartless or have an odd sense of humor (and you're probably right) but... oh well.



Yes this is for real. In his over-ambition to win he jumped trying to clear all the stairs going down. Mid flight he collided with the overhanging wall. It didn't help that it was metal. Upstairs we all heard the crash but continued chanting... SIXTEEN, SEVENTEEN, EIGHTEEN (the record was NINE... but in the spirit of competition we had to keep counting) After chanting TWENTY-NINE, THIRTY (yes, we really did just sit there and count that long... maybe we are heartless) Derek, who had been posted downstairs to referee any cheating that may occur, finally called up to us.

Yes, there was an abundance of blood, some hair was lost, a chunk of skin missing (sorry if that grosses you out) But the worst of it??? Russ TOTALLY lost. I know. I'm embarrassed. :) Ah, good times. All I can say is boys will be boys. And I'm sure there will be a rematch... one of these years.

8 comments:

Brandon and Jenni said...

OH WOW! That is hilarious!! (Sorry Russ..) I completely forgot about that story Ren. I can't stop laughing... I think I would have to laugh everytime it popped up on the screen too. :)

Kari said...

It does sound fun. Although I bet Russ was mad when he got hurt. Was he? He has a temper I absolutely hate, and scared of.

Vanessa said...

Ren, if you have a weird sense of humor, then so do I! Falling, slipping, ect, always cracks me up. I remember you guys telling me that story. As soon as I started reading your post I knew exactly what story it would be and started laughing (sorry Russ). I feel bad for him that he got hurt but it is a funny story, especially because I know how competative he is. Thanks for sharing the pictures, cause I had never seen those!

Annie Singler said...

That was a GREAT post!

Emily said...

I know it's bad but people getting hurt really can be funny. And your family get-togethers sound like so much fun!

Darla said...

I love it!! I can totally see the guys doing that. How entertaining! You are making me laugh so hard about you guys still counting, not checking on poor Russ, laying there injured! :)I shouldn't laugh, it's not funny and I hope he's okay!! :)

Kristina said...

That was so funny! I love your blog. I don't know if I already gave you ours:nathanandkristina.blogspot.com
You have such a beautiful family. That's so great that Brecken can read, I'm not suprised.
Take care.

Carrie said...

Oh goodness. I love your family! Poor Russ's ego:( Glad he didn't blackout! or did he?