Friday, November 19, 2010

Memory Lane

Since nothing out of the ordinary happened this week [unless you count the 96 loads of laundry folded (ok, slight exaggeration)] I feel I have license to take a trip down memory lane instead.

Let's go back six or so years. Russ and I were newlyweds. He was in school. We both worked. We lived in a quaint little basement apartment. And we were just figuring out what each other were really like. This is when I was introduced to how Russ handles sickness.

It began as any other day, I don't remember the particulars, but in the evening we attended a play at the college for one of Russ's classes.

In the middle of the play Russ started coming down with a cold. He was in pain, and it was obvious. So what does any normal person do when cold symptoms set in (sore throat in particular), and it's after hours? A trip to the emergency room, of course! Russ was in pain and it needed remedied! Immediately! (for those of you wondering-he knows I'm in jest)

Of course, once the emergency room was brought up I began thinking it must be more serious than just your common cold (I mean, come on, the emergency room for a sore throat?). So I (being the devoted, loving wife I am ;]) began feeling anxious as to what could possibly be ailing my new groom. Enter nurse:

Nurse: On a scale of one to ten, how bad is your pain?
Russ: (very dramatically) Ten.
Nurse: (somewhat condescendingly) Ok, ten would be like they are sawing your arm off. (then looks to Russ to restate his obviously exaggerated response)
Russ: (in a tone that would suggest "I'm fully aware of how the rating system works" he acquiesced) Nine.

Oh yes. He said nine. And he would have kept with ten had he not felt obligated to restate. Now, curiosity more than anxiety for my spouse set in. What was this pain in his throat that was as bad as having his arm sawed off?? Was it a tumor? Of course a few tests were done, a few lights shown down the oral cavity, a few tongue depressers and cotton swabs.

In the end, they handed us two pieces of paper: the diagnosis, and a prescription for Lortab. What was the diagnosis worthy of such a pain killer? It read:

"Pharyngitis (sore throat)". No, it wasn't a tumor. It wasn't even strep.

Yes. This was a foreshadowing for how my husband handles sickness. Due to this being already too lengthy of a post I won't go into the moaning throughout the night, the relentless tossing and turning, or the days off work, etc. etc. I'll leave it to your imagination. But, I will say, he is worth every second of it. I love that boy, and I wouldn't change him for anything. I even love when he gets sick... it's rather endearing :)

And no post is complete without pictures, so even though it has nothing to do with anything, here is little Hallie grabbing her toes (don't worry mom-though sockless-she is still warm)...




Aw.

10 comments:

Staci said...

hahah I want to be there when Russ is sick..sounds entertaining! Oh my sweetness too..those pics are so cute.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO funny! Next time we're sick I know to stay far away from Russ! He must have had a panic attack last time you guys came over and I had a cold.

And those pictures of Hallie are SOOOO cute!

Serenity said...

Ok. I *do* have to say that that was the worst Russ has ever been. He normally doesn't go to *that* extremity. :) and in all fairness to him, that was the sickest he has ever been our whole marriage. (he says (: )

Vanessa said...

I remember this story! And although a 9 is a little exaggerated, you gotta remember Ren... you are the girl with extreme pain tolerance (4 deliveries-no drugs)! So you intimidate me in this department:). But I do know that most woman get a kick out of their hubs when they are sick. Well, at least a kick out of their whining. If they only knew what it was like to feel THAT bad AND take care of small children on little sleep! But we love our hubs anyway! And they love us for being there little mommy when they are sick. Went off on that one, sorry:).

Thanks for posting more pics of Hallie! More please!! She is too cute!

oh, and I loved your comment on my blog from last week's post! (All the things we can do together if I move to SG)! Sounds good to me:)!!

Russ said...

ok ok...absolutely hilarious hon...at my expense of course! And to think, I could have read this post before it went live and stopped the whole thing! Good story, good story. :)

The Judd Family said...

What a funny story! That is hilarious. I love the pictures of your baby. She is adorable!

Sydney said...

That is a very funny story and such CUTE pictures!

Travis and Heather said...

I read this to Travis cause he has a very low tolerance for pain. He appreciated the fact that he now knows someone on his side :) he is currently recovering from hernia surgery and I do know that it is a painful surgery, but he is driving me crazy!! :) like you said, it IS rather endearing though. haha :)

Janell said...

Oh Man....too funny! It's always fun to get a laugh at someone else's expense!!

Mark & Shalon said...

haha. i love that story! and of course those pictures of your little hallie are adorable!